CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, May 17, 2010

The last time

The last time it was just you and me was a quiet Sunday night.

It was the first Sunday in May and I realized I hadn't nursed you since Thursday. I knew I still had some semblance of milk, but not a lot. Not enough to really feed you. Only enough to comfort you. To give you a reminder of what use to be.

We sat in the rocking chair in the bedroom with the door closed and the lamp turned low and just rocked back and forth.

You were sleepy and within a matter of minutes your eyes rolled back in your head and you closed them for the night. You kept comfort sucking for another 15 minutes or so while I teared up and tried to remember everything about how you looked at that moment.

Your left hand outstretched toward my face but never making it, instead it rested on my chest. Your pale skin golden in the lamp light and your feet crossed at the ankle as you tended to do while nursing.

It was the last time I nursed my last baby. And I miss it.

1 comments:

e&e

So sad, and yet beautifully precious. That's so great you have a wonderful memory of the last time. While I have many good memories of nursing my little ones, the last time with Joshy was horrid (he threw up all over me) and the last time with the girls I have no recollection of.

You'll treasure that last time forever. Thanks for sharing it with us!
elisa

Post a Comment