CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Technically ketchup is made from tomatoes....

Dear Lord,

Is ketchup a vegetable? Or a fruit? (Tomatoes are fruit I was just informed). If it isn't could it be just for tonight? Please? Because Lord, if you would grant me that ketchup counts as a vegetable (OR FRUIT!) then I can rest easier knowing that I served my children a well balanced meal with a protein (chicken nuggets), a starch (steak fries), and a vegetable/fruit (ketchup).

Lord, it's not that I don't WANT to serve my children a healthier meal where the status of the vegetable/fruit is not up for debate. It's just that, well Lord, I'm busy. You see I struggle. I want to be really PRESENT for my children. I want to be a good mother. I want to be a mother who listens to her daughters tell her about volleyball and the playground and discuss boys and friends and birthday parties. And I can't always do that when I'm rushing around the kitchen trying to make dinner.

My time is limited Lord, but then, you know that. Often my choice is to make a healthier meal which will take longer in the kitchen or throw something together fast so we can get on with our night. Yes, I know, Once a Month Cooking and Kitchen Prep can be lifesavers. I KNOW this. But sometimes, some weeks, I forget. Or I get lazy. Okay, it's probably more lazy than forgetful.

But Lord, I don't get home until 6pm. Then it's another hour in the kitchen. Then we eat dinner. By the time that's all over it's 7:30pm and there is still homework and bath time and baby cuddles and story time and dancing princesses and, well, sometimes I just don't wanna give all of that up for dinner prep.

I'm striving to be a better mother. A more in-tune mother. I want to know my children better Lord. I want to know their hearts. I want them to feel as though they are being heard and that their mother is not distracted with food preparation after work.

And this ketchup gift would go a long way in helping that. So please Lord, just for tonight. Or this week. Can ketchup please be a vegetable (or fruit)?

0 comments:

Post a Comment